These bundles will make a great side dish for any meal – formal or informal. It can even be served as a starter with a dip of your choice. The best part of this recipe is the simplicity of the ingredients and the method. It comes together very quickly which is great when you have a lot of other foods to prepare.
These bites will disappear in an instant. It also tastes great as leftovers.
600 g boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
125 ml canola oil
30 ml lime juice
a few drops Tobasco or other hot sauce such as Sriracha sauce
500 g rindless bacon strips
125 ml brown sugar
- Combine the canola oil, lime juice and Tobasco or Sriracha sauce in a large Ziplock bag.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to the bag.
- Once all of the chicken pieces are in the bag, turn the bag to coat the chicken with the marinade and place in the fridge for about 1 hour, turning after half an hour.
- Soak toothpicks in hot water to prevent them from catching fire if you plan to grill the bites in the oven.
- Cut each slice of bacon into two or three pieces (it must be big enough to wrap around the chicken pieces).
- Wrap the bacon around each piece of chicken and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Brush the bacon with a little olive oil before coating it with brown sugar.
- Braai on a medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the bacon is crispy. Alternatively, pre-heat the grill and grill the bacon bites on a roasting pan about 10 cm from the grilling element.