This is one of my favorite salads by far – and I am not really a pea person! This is the banting-friendly version of Carolié de Koster’s Nutty Bacon & Pea Salad from the Art Of Cooking Recipe book p. 472.
250 g rindless bacon, cooked and finely chopped
100 g pecan nuts or walnuts, coarsely chopped
50 g Grana Padana or Parmigiano Regiano cheese, grated (optional)
250 ml frozen peas
250 ml celery, finely chopped
125 ml spring onion, thinly sliced
125 ml creme fraiche or natural yoghurt
salt & freshly ground black pepper
200 g mixed baby lettuce, rinsed and dried with paper towel
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 º C and line two large baking trays with Wizbake baking sheets.
- Place the bacon strips in a single layer on the baking trays and bake for about 10 minutes or until crispy. Alternatively, fry a few slices of bacon at a time in a saucepan.
- Chop the cooled bacon coarsely and set it aside.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients (see photo below) and combine it in a large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper or seasoning of your choice and mix well.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavours to blend.
- When ready to serve, tear the lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces and line a large salad platter or individual plates with the lettuce.
- Add the bacon to the bowl and mix well. Spoon the mixture onto the bed of lettuce and serve immediately.