An unusual combo which makes a stunning cake!
1⁄2 cup (125 ml or 125 g) butter, slightly softened
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
2 large eggs
11⁄2 cups (375 ml) cake flour or gluten‐free baking mix
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
150 ml full cream natural yoghurt or sour cream
1 cup (250 ml) grated apple (2 small )
1⁄2 cup (125 ml) strong black coffee, cooled
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
1⁄2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
icing sugar to dust
whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line the base of a 20 cm square or round cake tin with baking paper. Grease the sides with butter.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the dry ingredients and yoghurt or sour cream and beat again.
- Add the apples, coffee, vanilla and nuts and mix until combined.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, lift out and dust generously with icing sugar.
- Cut into squares or wedges to serve, as is or with whipped cream.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.