This gluten-free version of the popular “Woolworths Ready Meals” is gluten-free. It is also a great way to use up leftovers!
500 g broccoli, steamed
500 g cooked chicken, skins and bones removed and chopped
125 ml spring onion, finely sliced
100 ml Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, grated
6 to 8 extra large eggs
250 ml milk or cream
10 ml garlic and herb seasoning
5 ml salt
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease an ovenproof dish of at least 1.5 litre (1500 ml) with butter.
- If using a head of broccoli or cauliflower, cut the stem in the middle out and cut it into florets on a chopping board with a cook’s knife.
- Rinse the broccoli in a colander in the basin.
- Transfer the broccoli to a steamer and steam the broccoli for 5 to 7 minutes or until the broccoli is soft went pierced with a utility knife.
- Remove the broccoli from the steamer and transfer it to the ovenproof dish. Set it aside.
- Transfer the egg to a 1 liter measuring jug and set it aside. Do the same with the other eggs. Set the jug aside.
- Measure the salt with a 2.5 ml measuring spoon and add it to the eggs.
- Grind some pepper into the measuring jug with the eggs.
- Use a chopping board and a cook’s knife and slice the spring onion thinly. Measure the spring onion with a 125 ml measuring cup and transfer it to the ovenproof dish.
- Dice the slices of ham in 1 cm x 1 cm squares on a chopping board and a cook’s knife and transfer it to the ovenproof dish. Set the dish aside.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the broccoli in the dish.
- Pour the egg mixture into the ovenproof dish. Just make sure the egg mixture covers the ingredients
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until set, puffy and golden.
- Serve as breakfast or as a light meal with salad.
– Divide the mixture between the 12 holes of a greased muffin pan and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until firm.
– Omit the eggs and make a white sauce with the cream. Mix well and bake as per above.