This very contemporary way of serving a low-kilojoule chicken and salad sandwich would be ideally suited for a casual meal on the patio with friends and family. Prepare an open sandwich for a light meal or a stacked sandwich for a more substantial feast.
± 750 g chicken breast fillets
100 g butter
Cajun Spice Mix
15 ml paprika
5 ml garlic and herb seasoning
2 to 5 ml cayenne pepper
1 to 2 ml white pepper
2 to 5 ml freshly ground black pepper
10 ml salt
2.5 ml dried thyme
2.5 ml mixed dried herbs
home-made tomato salsa OR Mexican-style canned tomato
salad ingredients, e.g. lettuce, cucumber, sprouts, avo, spring onion, chives
- Flatten the chicken breast fillets with a mallet or rolling pin to 10 mm thick.
- Combine all the ingredients for the spice mixture and sprinkle over the breasts and set aside or cover and refrigerate until ready to fry and serve.
- In the meantime, butter 6 to 12 slices of bread or enough for 6 to 12 servings.
- Arrange the bread on a large serving platter or individual plates and top neatly with the salad ingredients.
- Spoon soured cream and tomato salsa into small bowls and keep refrigerated until required.
- Het the butter until moderately hot and fry the chicken breasts for about 3 minutes on a side or until nicely browned and thoroughly cooked but not dry.
- Keep warm until ready to serve and slice into slightly smaller portions if preferred.
- Place the the hot chicken on top of the salad, spoon over a little sour cream and scatter a few shreds of lettuce, spring onion, avo, etc.
- Serve immediately, passing around the remaining soured cream and salsa.
6 to 12 servings.