A wonderful way to serve lamb cold as a first course salad or as part of a cold buffet. The roast lamb is carved very thinly and marinated in an unusual green vinaigrette dressing.
1 kg boned leg or shoulder of lamb
15 g butter
garlic and herb seasoning
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Green Vinaigrette Dressing
125 ml parsley, finely chopped
125 ml spring onion, finely chopped
125 ml celery, finely chopped
15 ml capers, finely chopped
25 ml lemon juice
5 ml prepared mustard
2.5 ml mixed dried herbs
2.5 ml dried rosemary
10 ml sugar
5 ml salt
50 ml sunflower oil
50 ml olive oil
To garnish & serve
Mixed varieties of lettuce
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 green pepper, julienned
cucumber, finely sliced
- Spread the meat with butter and season well all over with the garlic and herb seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb into a roasting dish and roast in the oven at 200º C for about 25 minutes or until well browned on the outside but quite rare on the inside if tested with a sharp knife.
- Cool and drain the meat in a colander, cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Carve the meat very thinly and place it in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a mixing jug, mix well and pour over the meat. Toss, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before serving.
- Compose a salad platter or individual plates decoratively with the lettuce and other garnishes and spoon the meat and dressing over the salad ingredients.
6 servings as a light meal.