This flavoursome and effortlessly browned roast lamb would be perfect to serve with another meat course.
1.5 kg butterflied leg of lamb
125 ml mayonnaise
125 ml tomato sauce
50 ml Worcestershire sauce
50 ml prepared mustard
50 ml soy sauce
30 ml brown sugar
few drops Tobasco Sauce (optional)
- To make the basting sauce, combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until required.
- Place the meat in a heavy-oven-roasting pot and pour the sauce over the meat.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 160º C for 1.5 hours or until the meat is tender but not dry.
- Baste the meat with the sauce and add a little water if necessary to prevent it from scorching.
- Remove the lid and bake uncovered until the meat is browned to taste.
- Carve the lamb into thin slices and serve with vegetables and mashed potatoes or on fresh bread with salad ingredients such as lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc.