An extraordinary light and attractive cold dish to make with cooked chicken or turkey. Use one large ring mould or a loaf-shaped dish with at least 1,5 litres capacity or 6 to 8 x 200 ml or 10 to 12 x 125 ml moulds.
15 g butter
30 ml cake flour
10 ml medium curry powder5 ml chicken stock powder
400 ml water
25 ml gelatine
100 ml water (to mix with gelatine)
500 g (750 ml) cooked chicken or turkey, finely diced
50 ml spring onion, finely sliced
100 ml mayonnaise
200 ml cream, stiffly beaten
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mixed varieties of lettuce or salad garnishes
- Melt together the butter and cake flour and stir in the curry powder, chicken stock powder and water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk, until smooth and thickened and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Place the gelatine in a suitable container, cover with the 100 ml water and microwave on MEDIUM for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir into the curry sauce, cool and refrigerate until the mixture starts to set.
- Stir in the chicken or turkey, spring onion and mayonnaise, fold in the cream and season to taste.
- Grease the mould(s) with oil or non-stick cooking spray and divide the mixture between the small moulds or pour into the large mould.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or until completely set.
- Turn out onto a large platter or individual plates and garnish with lettuce and salad garnishes as preferred.
- Serve with wholewheat bread or crisp bread rolls with butter.
The chicken may be substituted with leftover cooked turkey.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster for the Art Of Cooking Recipe Book p. 41.