Recipes for using ripe bananas are uncountable! This one stands out as quick to make and offers health benefits with added Brazil nuts, light olive or favourite vegetable oil and reduced sugar. Serve as is or with yoghurt or Ricotta cheese.
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle
3 large bananas (very ripe is best)
¼ cup (60 ml) milk
¼ cup (60 ml) light olive or favourite vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
1¾ cup (450 ml) self-raising flour
½ cup (125 ml) raw or brown sugar
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
¼ tsp (1 ml) baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
±1 cup (250 ml) Brazil nuts, coarsely sliced or chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC. Grease a medium size loaf tin or baking dish (±1½ liter) with butter or oil and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar.
- Blend together the bananas, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla essence.
- Add flour, sugar, salt and baking soda and blend briefly to combine.
- Reserve about ¼ cup (60 ml) of the nuts and mix the rest into the batter. Turn the batter into the dish and smooth the top, making it a little hollow in the center. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and a little cinnamon sugar.
- Bake the cake 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin / dish a few minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. Who can resist?
10 – 12 servings
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.