This salad is great to serve as a light meal. The tuna may be omitted if preferred and replaced with crumbled feta cheese or parmesan shavings.
350 g green beans
250 g cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
125 ml spring onion, thinly sliced
10 to 20 olives (optional)
1 x 400 g tin chickpeas, drained (only use half the tin)
2 x 170 g tins tuna in brine, drained
1 x packet mixed lettuce or butter lettuce (90 g)
45 ml olive oil
20 ml vinegar, e.g. white wine, balsamic, etc.
5 ml crushed garlic
2 ml mustard powder
2 ml white sugar
2 ml salt
2 ml origanum
2 ml freshly ground black pepper
- Top and tail the beans and slice it into 2 cm lengths.
- Steam the beans until al dente, i.e. cooked but still crunchy. Rinse the beans under cold water to stop the cooking process and to retain the colour.
- Combine the beans and the rest of the ingredients for the salad in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a measuring jug and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well.
- To assemble the salad, break the lettuce into smaller pieces if necessary and place it on a large salad platter or line a salad bowl with it.
- Spoon the salad mixture onto the lettuce and serve immediately.
The salad mixture can be made and refrigerated for a day or two. Assemble the salad when ready to serve.