One of the most delicious crispy yet soft crumbed plain biscuits yet (pictured on the right)! Be sure to also try these Low GI Almonds Biscuits.
1 cup (250 ml) ground almonds or almond flour
1 cup (250 ml) corn flour
1 cup (250 ml) rice flour
½ cup (125 ml) sugar
3/4 cup (175 ml / 200 g) butter, diced and left at room temperature
1 Tbsp (15 ml) water
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla essence
½ tsp (2.5 ml) almond essence
± 1 Tbsp (15 ml) extra water
icing sugar to dust
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the slightly softened butter.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the first tablespoon of water with the vanilla and almond essence and add to the bowl.
- Mix together lightly until the dough comes together, adding a little more of the extra water if necessary for the dough to form.
- Roll the dough into a neat sausage about 30 cm in length and 2 cm in diameter and seal in cling wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to become firm.
- Line a large baking tray with a Wizbake baking sheet and preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Slice the roll into neat biscuits about 1 cm thick and place slightly apart onto the baking try.
- Bake at about 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and cooked until very pale golden around the edges.
- Dust with icing sugar, allow to cool completely and store airtight.
Servings: ± 30 biscuits