You and your guests will not be able to stop snacking on these nuts!
400 g unsalted mixed nuts or 100 g each almonds, macadamias, cashews and pecans
15 g butter or 15 ml oil
5 ml salt
10 ml brown sugar
5 ml paprika
5 ml ground cumin
2 ml ground coriander
1 – 5 ml chilli powder, cayenne pepper or dried chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the butter or oil and mixed spices in a heavy based saucepan and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute, stirring. Add the nuts and toss to coat evenly.
- Turn out the nuts onto a baking tray lined with a Wizbake baking sheet and spread the nuts out in a single layer.
- Bake 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Cool and store in an airtight container until required or up to a month or two.
Makes 400 g or about 1 liter roasted nuts.
- Try your own variation with spices or seasonings for the nuts such as Cajun seasoning.
- Mexican-style spice mixture – replace the spice mixture above with the following sweet and spicy mixture:
30 ml castor sugar
5 ml ground cinnamon
3 ml salt
1 ml ground cloves
1 ml ground allspice
1 ml cayenne pepper