These crispy sweet treats, also known as Crunchies, are so delicious that you will have to make a double batch so that it can last longer!
250 ml oats
125 ml white or brown sugar
125 ml dessicated coconut
125 ml cake flour
60 ml sunflower seeds
2.5 ml cinnamon (optional)
125 g butter
25 ml honey or syrup
2.5 ml bicarb of soda
- Preheat the oven to 140 °C and line a 20 cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Combine the oats, sugar, coconut, flour, seeds and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and mix well. Set it aside.
- Combine the butter and honey or syryp in a small saucepan and melt it over a medium heat.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and stir in the bicarb.
- Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the tin and press it down with the back of a spoon until it covers the base evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Invert it onto a chopping board and cut it into neat squares while still hot.
- Transfer the cookies to a chopping board and set it aside to cool and crisp up.
- Store it in an airtight container.
About 20 squares.
- the recipe can easily be doubled. Just remember to increase the size of the tin with about 10 cm as well as the baking time for 10 to 15 minutes.
- substitute the sunflower seed with pumpkin or poppy seed.