Surprise health cake lovers with this delicious and trendy vegetable based cake.
1 cup (250 ml / 230 g) butter
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest (optional)
1 cup (250 ml) self-raising flour
½ cup (125 ml) wholemeal flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
1 tsp (5 ml) poppy or black chia seeds
2 cups (500 ml) grated zucchini (firmly packed)
1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
Lemon Butter Icing
1½ cups (375 ml) icing sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) butter, very slightly softened
± 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
poppy or black chia seeds to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 170 ºC and line the base of a 22 cm round spring-form tin with baking paper. Grease the sides of the tin with butter or cooking spray.
- Beat together the butter and sugar very well until creamy. Add the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and zest if used and beat well until blended. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir until evenly combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake about 45 minutes or until quite firm to the touch, lightly browned and a metal skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and remove to a cooling rack.
- Place the icing sugar and butter into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric beater or a spoon to start mixing and soften the butter. Add the lemon juice a few drops at a time, beating and adding until a smooth and creamy icing results.
- Spread the icing decoratively over the top and sprinkle with poppy or chia seeds.
10 – 12 servings.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.