Once you have tasted this home-made version of these classic cookies, you will always ensure that you bake and stock up on them for holidays, etc.
250 g Stork bake margarine
250 ml/210 g castor sugar
500 ml/280 g cake flour
5 ml baking powder
60 ml cocoa powder
375 ml/120 g desiccated coconut
2.5 ml salt
5 ml vanilla essence
15 ml milk
100 g dark/milk chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 ℃.
- Line baking trays with Wizbake baking sheets or grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the batter hook. Mix until the dough holds together.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the biscuits have spread out slightly and are just firm.
- Cool the biscuits on the baking trays until firm and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate filling, break the chocolate into a bowl and place over the steam of simmering water to melt or cover and microwave on MEDIUM for 1 to 2 minutes or until completely soft if tested with the tip of a teaspoon.
- Sandwich the cookies together with the chocolate and place on a cooling rack until completely set.
30 sandwiched biscuits.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster, Art of Cooking recipe book, p. 735.