Rich and creamy caramel-flavoured home-made ice-cream turned into a special occasion or festive treat with toasted almonds and cherries. If time does not allow to make the ice-cream from scratch, you can certainly use 2 liter good quality shop-bought ice-cream.
250 ml white sugar
125 ml water
25 ml custard powder
125 ml milk
3 large eggs
100 g red glace cherries, quartered
100 g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
2,5 ml almond essence
750 ml cream
To garnish and serve
Hot or cold Home-made Chocolate Sauce
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir over a moderate heat until the sugar has melted.
- Turn up the heat, boil the syrup without stirring until golden brown and remove from the heat.
- Blend the custard powder, milk and eggs and add the syrup, beating well with a whisk, until evenly combined. Return to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce starts to boil and thicken – do not be concerned if the mixture seems a bit curdled at any stage but continue beating vigorously until it becomes smooth and thickened. Refrigerate until quite cold.
- Add the cherries, almonds, almond essence and salt and mix well.
- Beat the cream until thick and fold the mixtures together until evenly combined.
- Pour into a loaf tin and freeze for at least 6 to 8 hours or overnight until solidly frozen.
- Loosen the sides carefully and turn out the frozen loaf. If necessary, wipe over the base of the tin with a cloth dipped in boiling water to release the loaf, and freeze again.
- When ready to serve, dust the top with cocoa powder, place on a serving platter and slice.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster for the Art Of Cooking Recipe Book p. 543.