This awesome puff pastry Christmas tree will definitely let compliments stream in! It is easier to make than you might think, just follow the step-by-step instructions below. It can be made with a sweet and savoury filling. The filling is sandwiched between two layers of puff pasty, scored in all the right places, and twisted to form tree branches.
2 x 500g packet ready to roll puff pastry, thawed overnight
a little cake flour for rolling pin and work surface
125 g Mediterranean Delicacies Basil Pesto or
200 ml chocolate spread, e.g. Nutella® or Home-Made Hazelnut & Chocolate Spread
1 large egg, lightly beaten
To serve (optional)
Pesto filling: 25 ml melted butter and 50 ml Parmesan cheese, grated
Chocolate filling: 50 ml icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190 ℃.
- Open the packets of pastry and unroll them on Wizbake baking sheets or on baking paper.
- Sprinkle a little cake flour on a rolling pin and roll each pastry sheet once in each direction to make it a little bigger. It is important that the sheets are the same size.
- Work with the first sheet of pastry and score a rough shape of a Christmas tree (narrow triangle) with a table knife. Make the base of the triangle as wide as possible.
- Spread the filling evenly onto the sheet of pastry in the triangle area..
- Carefully place the 2nd sheet of puff pastry on top with the aid of the Wizbake sheet.
- Use a table knife and cut out the Christmas tree shape. When cutting, use a pressing instead of a pulling action and be sure to cut through both layers of pastry. Remember to cut out a stem as well.
- Remove the excess pastry.
- Start at the side closest to the stem and make horizontal cuts for the branches. Leave about 2 cm down the middle of the tree.
- Beginning at the base, twist the pastry away from you, trying to get in two turns on the lower branches.
- Continue moving up the tree, twisting away from you.
- At the top of the tree you may only get a single twist in the top branches.
- Cut out a star from the trimmed pastry and place on the baking tray.
- Brush the star and tree with lightly beaten egg.
- Slip a baking tray under the Wizbake sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.
- If you want to serve right away, allow to cool for a few minutes then slide egg lifters under the tree and transfer it to a serving plate.
- If making the basil pesto Christmas tree, brush the warm puff pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. If making the chocolate Christmas tree, dust it with icing sugar.
6 to 8 servings.