This awesome puff pastry Christmas tree will definitely let compliments stream in! It is easier to make than you might think, just follow the step-by-step instructions below. It can be made with a sweet and savoury filling. The filling is sandwiched between two layers of puff pasty, scored in all the right places, and twisted to form tree branches.
2 x 500g packet ready to roll puff pastry, thawed overnight
a little cake flour for rolling pin and work surface
1 large egg, lightly beaten
To serve (optional)
25 ml melted butter
50 ml Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190 ℃.
- Place two Wizbake baking sheets side by side.
- Open the packets of pastry and unroll one on each of the baking sheets.
- Sprinkle a little cake flour on a rolling pin and roll each pastry a few times in each direction to make it a little bigger. It is important that the sheets are more or less the same size.
- Work with the first sheet of pastry, and score a rough shape of a Christmas tree (narrow triangle) with a table knife. Make the base of the triangle as wide as possible.
- Spread the filling evenly on the inside of the triangle.
- Carefully place the 2nd sheet of puff pastry on top of the first and cut out the Christmas tree shape. When cutting, use a pressing instead of a pulling action and be sure to cut through both layers of pastry. Remember to cut out a stem as well.
- Remove the excess pastry.
- Make horizontal cuts in the pastry for the branches. Leave about 2 cm down the midle of the pastry for the trunk of the tree.
- Start at the base of the tree and twist each pastry branch two times in an upward direction. Don’t worry if you cannot get in two twists on the shorter branches.
- Cut out a star from the trimmed pastry and place on the baking tray. Use cookie cutters with different shapes and sizes and cut shapes out of the leftover pastry.
- Brush the star, the tree and the additional pastry shapes with the egg wash.
- Slip a baking tray under the Wizbake sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Place the star at the top of the tree.
- Brush the tree with melted butter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Allow the pastry to cool for a few minutes before transferring it onto a serving plate.
6 to 8 servings.
- Subsitute the basil pesto with about 200 ml Nutella® or Home-Made Hazelnut & Chocolate Spread and dust it with icing sugar before serving.