Milk tart is a South African favourite with many variations! Milk and eggs make milk tart a healthy dessert or coffee or tea time treat for young and old! Be sure to also try Carolié’s authentic recipe for Grandma’s Milk Tart, which is the real deal!
3 large eggs, separated
125 ml sugar
5 ml baking powder
250 ml cake flour
875 ml milk
30 g butter, melted
5 ml vanilla essence
few drops almond essence (optional)
cinnamon to sprinkle
cinnamon sugar to sprinkle after baking
- Grease a 26 cm pie dish with butter and preheat the oven to 180 °C. Place the oven rack for baking just lower than the middle of the oven for best baking of this tart.
- Beat the egg whites until firm and gradually beat in the sugar to make a stiff meringue. Add the baking powder, salt and egg yolks and beat in very gently to combine.
- Mix the flour with 2 cups (500 ml) of the milk to make a smooth paste. Add the remaining milk, butter and flavouring and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into the bowl with the whipped mixture, blend gently until combined and pour into the pie dish. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and bake 25 – 30 minutes or until set.
- Remove the tart from the oven and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar. Allow to cool and set before cutting into wedges.
Recipe by Carolié’s de Koster.