This is a colourful and attractive rice dish with mixed peppers to serve as a perfect accompaniment to many meat dishes.
250 ml rice e.g. Basmati, white or brown, rinsed in a colander and drained
625 ml water
2,5 ml salt
good pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
5 ml soy sauce
30 g butter
250 ml rice finely diced mixed green/red/yellow peppers
50 ml chopped spring onion (optional)
15 ml parsley, finely chopped
1 ml paprika
- Place the rice, water, salt cayenne pepper and soy sauce in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover partly and simmer until the rice is tender and dry.
- Place the butter, diced peppers, spring onion and paprika in a saucepan and saute gently until all the ingredients are softened, stirring from time to time.
- Add the mixture to the cooked rice and toss lightly with a fork until evenly combined.
- Cover and allow to stand over slow heat until everything is heated through.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster from the Art Of Cooking Recipe Book p. 439.