Combining microwave and conventional cooking is practical when making a quick supper. Serve with a crisp green salad and fresh bread.
250 ml pasta shapes
2.5 liters water
75 g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
a small green pepper, seeded and finely diced
250 g mushrooms
75 ml cake flour
350 ml milk
15 ml lemon juice
2.5 ml salt
few drops Tabasco sauce
100 ml cream or additional milk
30 ml parsley, finely chopped
100 g cheddar cheese, grated
2 x 185 g tins tuns, drained and flaked
paprika to taste
- Bring the water to a boil on top of the stove in a large saucepan and add a good pinch of salt.
- Add the pasta, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and boil gently while preparing the sauce in the microwave oven.
- Place the butter, onion, celery and green pepper into a large bowl and microwave uncovered on High for 2 minutes.
- Stir and microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to combine. Microwave uncovered on High for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and milk and stir well. Microwave uncovered for 4 minutes, stirring at 1 minute intervals.
- Stir in the lemon juice, salt, Tabasco sauce, cream or additional milk, parsley and half of the cheese and mix well.
- Stir in the tuna and mix lightly – do not break up the tuna too finely.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and spoon into a round casserole dish of a suitable size. Cover with the tuna sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and paprika.
- Cover the dish with a lid or cling wrap, leaving an air vent.
- When ready to serve, microwave on Medium for 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and warmed through.
6 to 8 servings.