Olive oil is not exactly an ingredient that one usually finds in ice cream, but this recipe is definitely worth a try! You can taste the olive oil without it being overpowering and it is complimented very well with the flavour of the orange. This ice cream is neither too rich or too sweet.
225 g sugar
500 ml of milk
250 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
250 ml double cream
6 large egg yolks
180 ml of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
15 ml vanilla bean extract or paste
2 medium oranges, zested
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture is pale yellow and creamy.
- Continue to beat while slowly adding your oil. Mix for a few more minutes until the mixture is smooth and airy.
- Add the milk, cream, vanilla paste and orange or lemon zest and beat until combined. Note: if you used a zester to remove the zest from the citrus, you will need to chop it finely before adding it to the mixture.
- If using an ice cream machine, pour the mixture into the bowl of the ice cream machine and follow your manufacturer instructions to make the ice cream.
- If you don’t have an ice cream machine, simply transfer the mixture to a container with a lid, i.e. Tupperware or an old ice cream container and freeze for two to three hours.
- Remove the ice-cream from the freezer at least 30 minutes before you want to serve it to soften.
- Garnish with mint and orange segments.
- Substitute the orange juice with lemon juice and add about 50 ml more sugar.
- Use half cream and half milk.