Baked paté as good as it gets! Serve warm as a nutritious light meal with mashed potato and steamed vegetables or snack-style, either warm or cold, with favourite pickles or pickled vegetables, sweet chilli sauce and olives. Be sure to also try Carolié’s Chicken Liver Pâté With Bacon & Port.
4 sheets filo pastry
¼ cup (60 ml) melted butter
250 g chicken breast fillets (boneless, skinless)
125 g chicken livers
60 g rindless bacon (2 – 3 rashers)
¼ cup (60 ml) coarsely chopped spring onion
1 small clove garlic
1 tsp (5 ml) tomato sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) sweet chili sauce or fruit chutney
½ tsp (2.5 ml) mixed dried herbs
¼ tsp (1 ml) fresh or dried thyme
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
good grinding black pepper
garlic and herb seasoning to sprinkle over the roll
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and heat the oven to 180 °C.
- Place all the ingredients for the filling in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place the first sheet of filo pastry onto a kitchen board with the longer edge towards the front and brush with butter. Cover with the next 3 sheets, brushing in between and end with brushing on top of the last sheet.
- Spoon the filling evenly along the longer edge of the pastry stack, leaving about 3 cm at the edges uncovered. Fold about 2 cm of the sides of the stack over the filling and roll up neatly.
- Place the roll onto the baking tray, brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic and herb seasoning. Bake about 20 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Test with a metal skewer to ensure that the paté is firm and cooked through.
- Place the roll onto a serving platter and cut into sections or slices to serve warm or to serve cold, allow to cool to room temperature and serve or refrigerate until required.
1 roll or 6 servings.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.