Baked paté as good as it gets! Serve warm as a nutritious light meal with mashed potato and steamed vegetables or snack-style, either warm or cold, with favourite pickles or pickled vegetables, sweet chilli sauce and olives. Be sure to also try Carolié’s Chicken Liver Pâté With Bacon & Port.
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Yields 1 roll or 6 servings
4 sheets filo pastry
¼ cup (60 ml) melted butter
250 g chicken breast fillets (boneless, skinless)
125 g chicken livers
60 g rindless bacon (2 – 3 rashers)
¼ cup (60 ml) coarsely chopped spring onion
1 small clove garlic
1 tsp (5 ml) tomato sauce
1 tsp (5 ml) sweet chili sauce or fruit chutney
½ tsp (2.5 ml) mixed dried herbs
¼ tsp (1 ml) fresh or dried thyme
¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
good grinding black pepper
garlic and herb seasoning to sprinkle over the roll
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and heat the oven to 180 °C.
- Place all the ingredients for the filling in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place the first sheet of filo pastry onto a kitchen board with the longer edge towards the front and brush with butter. Cover with the next 3 sheets, brushing in between and end with brushing on top of the last sheet.
- Spoon the filling evenly along the longer edge of the pastry stack, leaving about 3 cm at the edges uncovered. Fold about 2 cm of the sides of the stack over the filling and roll up neatly.
- Place the roll onto the baking tray, brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic and herb seasoning. Bake about 20 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Test with a metal skewer to ensure that the paté is firm and cooked through.
- Place the roll onto a serving platter and cut into sections or slices to serve warm or to serve cold, allow to cool to room temperature and serve or refrigerate until required.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.