Baked patés are classic and ideal to add to the menu for festive summer meals! They are less complicated to prepare than it seems, rich in goodness and flavour, has an appealing slightly coarser texture and is easy to slice for serving.
250 g rindless streaky bacon (to line the baking dish or tin)
500 g calf or ox liver
60 g butter
125 ml cake flour
625 ml milk
125 g additional rindless streaky bacon, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
5 ml salt
2.5 ml ground black pepper
2.5 ml mixed dried herbs or 15 ml fresh herbs, finely chopped
pinch each ground cloves, coriander and nutmeg
30 ml tomato sauce
30 ml sherry or brandy (optional)
2 large eggs
Salad ingredients including mixed varieties of lettuce, chopped parsley, sliced or cocktail tomatoes and spring onion
- Line a 1.5 litre loaf shaped dish or baking tin with lightweight aluminium foil and line with the 250 g streaky bacon.
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C
- Remove membrane, ducts and gristle from the liver and cut into small portions.
- Melt together the butter and flour in a saucepan and stir in the milk.
- Bring to boil, stirring with a whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Place the chopped bacon in a large shallow saucepan and cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the liver, onion, garlic or garlic and herb seasoning and celery and cook 5 minutes more, stirring from time to time liver firms up and is just cooked.
- Add the liver mixture and all the remaining ingredients to the white sauce and process in a food processor or with a stick blender until quite smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the bacon lined dish. Stand the dish or tin in a pan with sufficient water to come halfway up the side and bake about 1¼ hours or until firm and set.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate the baked pate at least 2 hours before loosening and turning out onto a platter.
- Garnish decoratively as preferred and serve sliced as explained above. Serve with Pickled Vegetables if preferred.
– The bacon is good but optional – the pate may be baked without lining the dish with bacon or adding bacon to the mixture.
– Home made pickled vegetables (see recipe) compliment the liver pate perfectly!