Apple and bread turned into a beautiful baked breakfast or brunch dish, popular with young and old and good enough to serve as a dessert with cream.
2 large or 3 smaller apples such as Granny Smith or Bramley
60 ml water
few drops lemon juice (optional)
30 ml sugar
8 large eggs
500 ml milk
few drops vanilla essence
15 ml melted butter or margarine to grease dish and coat top
12 thin slices white bread, crusts removed
50 ml sugar
5 ml cinnamon (add more cinnamon to taste)
syrup to drizzle (any favourite)
yoghurt , Mascarpone cheese or whipped cream (optional)
grilled bacon (optional but good!)
- Peel and core the apples and cut into small chunks.
- Place into a saucepan with the water, lemon juice and sugar and bring to boil.
- Boil over moderate heat until the apples are just crisp-tender and most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Select a shallow rectangular ovenproof dish which will hold 6 slices snugly or use 6 individual dishes and brush with melted butter or margarine.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla essence.
- Place 6 of the slices into the greased dish and the other 6 slices into a similar dish for soaking.
- Pour about 1/3 of egg mixture over the slices in the baking dish and 1/3 over the remaining 6 slices.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar and spoon the apple evenly over the bread.
- Cover with the remaining six slices, pour the remaining egg mixture over the top and brush with butter or margarine.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until set and golden on top.
- Serve with syrup and yoghurt, Mascarpone cheese or cream and grilled bacon on the side if used.
Recipe and photo by Carolié de Koster.