This is a different and delicious vegetarian dish that is quick and easy to make. Both the garlic-herb sauce and parsley-tomato salad can be omitted, but it tastes great with it too.
750 g sweet potatoes
1 x 400 g tin chickpeas, drained
7.5 ml olive oil
2.5 ml ground cumin
2.5 ml ground coriander
2.5 ml ground cinnamon
2.5 ml ground paprika
Garlic Herb Sauce
60 ml hummus (or make your own home-made hummus)
5 ml lemon juice
5 ml dried dill
10 ml crushed garlic
2.5 ml salt
100 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
60 ml parsley, finely chopped
2.5 ml salt
freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200º C. and line a roasting tin with a Wizbake baking sheet and set it aside.
- Slice the sweet potato in half lengthwise and arrange the sweet potato in a single layer in the roasting tin.
- Brush the cut side of each of the pieces with a little olive oil. Set it aside.
- Pour the contents of the tin of chickpeas through a strainer to get rid of the water.
- Combine the chickpeas and the spices and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the roasting tin with the sweet potatoes.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked.
- Transfer the sweet potato to a serving dish and make a few slits in the flesh with a utility knife.
- To make the sauce, combine the hummus, lemon juice, dried dill, garlic and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add a little water if the sauce is too thick. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Set the sauce aside.
- To make the topping, combine the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Set it aside.
- Spoon the chickpeas, sauce and topping ingredients on top of the sweet potato and serve as a vegetable side dish.