Also known as Champurrado, this decadent hot and spicy drink is ideal for rainy or cold weather.
¼ cup corn flour (Maizena)
1 liter milk
2.5 ml vanilla extract
10 ml ground cinnamon
100 g 85% Lindt Dark Chocolate or Mexican chocolate, chopped
pinch chilli powder (optional)
25 to 100 ml Muscovado or Treacle sugar
Whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Combine the corn flour, milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring it to a boil while stirring.
- Turn down the heat and add the cinnamon and chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Add chilli powder, if used, and sugar to taste.
- Add additional milk or cream if the mixture is too thick.
- Pour the mixture into 50 to 100 ml glasses or cups – it is quite rich!
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a dollop of the whipped cream if preferred and serve.