These muffins can be eaten on its own or with a dollop of vanilla flavoured yoghurt.
180 ml cake flour (60 ml x 3)
180 ml Wholewheat Pronutro (Original, Apple Bake or Honeymelt)
125 ml oatbran
20 ml baking powder
2.5 ml salt
90 ml poppy seeds
60 ml Canola oil
125 ml white sugar
3 large eggs
250 ml plain yoghurt
1 large apple, grated
rind of two medium lemons, finely chopped (extract the juice and freeze as lemon ice cubes)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 º C and grease the cups of a mini muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the cake flour, Pronutro, oat bran, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- In a second mixing bowl, beat together the oil, sugar and eggs with an electric hand mixer.
- Add the yoghurt, grated apple and lemon rind and stir to mix.
- Pour the egg mixture onto the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tray. Only fill each cup three quarters of the way.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Check to see if the muffins are cooked by inserting a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the muffin tray.
- Transfer the muffins to a cooling rack before storing it in an airtight container or zip-lock bags.
- Serve as is or with a little vanilla-flavoured yoghurt.
- check the grated apple for large pieces of apple peel and chop finely)
- leftover lemon zest can be stored in the freezer in a ziplock bag.
- leftover fresh lemon juice can be poured into ice cube trays and frozen
- the muffins freeze well.