This is one of my all-time favourite recipes to make – it has so many uses! Stir it into cooked pasta or roasted vegetables, use it as a topping for bread or baked potato, etc. You are going to need a food processor to make it. Unless you want to try and do it Jamie Oliver-style with a pestle and mortar – not my idea of fun!
100 g pine kernels
100 g parmesan cheese, grated
200 g fresh basil
10 ml crushed garlic
2.5 ml salt
250 ml olive oil
- Transfer the nuts to a medium saucepan and toast or dry-fry the nuts while stirring with a wooden spoon until it has a golden colour.
- Transfer the nuts back to the mixing bowl and set it aside to cool down.
- Rinse the basil in a colander under running water and remove any leaves that are not suitable.
- Transfer the basil to a salad spinner and spin to get rid of the water.
- Transfer the basil to a food processor.
- Add the garlic and salt to the food processor and switch the food processor on.
- Add a little oil at a time while the the food processor is running. Stop adding oil when you have the consistency you want. It should not be too sloppy.
- Transfer the pesto to a serving bowl and cover with cling wrap until ready to use.
- Store the pesto covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Makes about 500 ml.