A quick bread with a difference! The flavour is excellent and texture tender and moist. Serve as is or with butter or enjoy on the side with any main course or soup or top with savoury topping such as sliced avocado.
125 ml maize meal or polenta
125 ml oat bran (or additional maize meal or polenta)
30 ml cornflour (Maizena)
30 ml sugar
10 ml gluten-free baking powder
2.5 ml salt
1 x 410 g can cream-style sweetcorn
125 ml milk
3 large eggs
15 ml melted butter or vegetable oil (any favourite)
10 ml chopped parsley
15 ml chopped onion or spring onion
30 ml finely grated tasty cheese (Parmesan or any favourite)
60 ml chopped cooked bacon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 º C.
- Line a medium size loaf tin (± 22 x 12 x 6 cm) with baking paper and grease with melted butter or cooking spray. Or use a 22 cm ring pan and grease generously with butter.
- Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix evenly. Add the sweetcorn, milk, eggs and butter or oil and stir only until evenly combined.
- Spoon into the prepared tin or ring pan. Bake the ring about 20 minutes or the loaf for about 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown and firm and a cake tester comes out clean if inserted.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before removing carefully. Allow to cool before slicing to serve.
- Store refrigerated and toast lightly if preferred when required.
Yields 1 loaf or 12 – 16 slices
- Oat bran is considered acceptable as gluten free by most who are gluten intolerant. For coeliacs or if you suspect that you are intolerant of oatmeal, use additional maize meal or polenta.
- The loaf is good as is but adding optional ingredients adds interesting flavours and variations.
- The loaf may be sliced and frozen and toasted from frozen when required.