This is one of the most exquisite cheesecakes – a treat for connoisseurs! The cheesecake in the photo was made with Featherlight Sweet Pastry (recipe at the bottom of the post), but it may also be baked with a biscuit crumb crust which is equally taste but quicker to make.
Biscuit Crumb Crust
1 x 200 g shortbread biscuits
50 g butter
7.5 ml ground cinnamon
6 large eggs, separated
750 g creamed cottage cheese
10 ml vanilla essence
100 ml cake flour
175 ml sugar
30 ml lemon juice
250 ml cream
125 ml soured cream or additional cream
To Serve & Decorate
250 ml whipped cream
fresh fruit or fruit coulis
- Grease a 280 mm to 300 mm spring-form tin with butter. Line the base of the tin with baking paper and grease the sides as well. This is essential to ensure that this large cake can be transferred to a serving platter without breaking.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Place all the ingredients for the crust in a food processor and process until evenly blended. Press the crumbs evenly onto the base only.
- To make the filling, separate the eggs and beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until firm and set aside. Beat the egg yolks and all the remaining ingredients for the filling very well for 5 minutes. Add the beaten egg white and fold in gently but thoroughly until evenly combined.
- Pour the filling into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour or until well risen, light golden brown and completely set in the centre when tested with the finger tips. Reduce the oven temperature slightly if the cakes starts to brown within 15 minutes.
- Place a spoon in the oven door and allow the cake to cool in the oven for at least one hour. Cool completely before loosening the sides, releasing the spring and removing the rim.
- Remove the cake with the paper lining to the base of an airtight container. Keep covered and refrigerated until required. When quite cold and firm, slip a large spatula or 2 egg lifters between the paper and the crust and transfer carefully to a serving platter.
- To serve, slice the cake neatly and serve with whipped cream or fruit coulis.
To make 2 smaller cakes, use 2 x 220 mm springform cake tins and bake for about 45 minutes or until set.
Featherlight Sweet Pastry
150 ml corn flour/Maizena
400 ml cake flour
5 ml baking powder
50 ml castor sugar
200 g butter
2 large eggs
2.5 ml vanilla essence
- Place all the ingredients for the pastry in a food processor and process only until the pastry holds together. The pastry can also be made by hand. Just mix and knead the ingredients until a smooth pastry is formed.
- Press the pastry into a ball, cover or seal in clingwrap and refrigerate until required.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin until quite thin and line the tin with the pastry. Trim the edge neatly with a sharp knife.
- Continue the recipe above from step 5.