This citrussy cake is not only crustless, it is also flourless! It is also quick and easy to make.
6 extra large eggs, separated
250 ml sugar
600 g ricotta cheese
10 ml baking powder
5 ml salt
rind and juice of one orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Grease a 30 cm quiche dish or a 25 cm spring form cake tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Separate the eggs and transfer the egg whites to a medium mixing bowl. Set it aside.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light yellow in colour. Set it aside.
- Combine the ricotta, baking powder, salt and orange juice in the bowl of a food processor and process until combined.
- Transfer the ricotta mixture to the bowl with the egg mixture and mix well.
- Add the orange zest and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until the stiff peak stage. Be careful not to overbeat the egg whites.
- Use a large metal spoon and stir a third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten the mixture.
- Add the rest of the egg whites and fold it into the batter until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden in colour and set.
- Set the cake aside for a few minutes before slicing.
Substitute the orange for naartjie or lemon juice and zest.