2 kg whole duck
450 g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
15 ml light soy sauce
125 ml port
freshly ground black pepper
30 ml sugar
15 ml balsamic vinegar
125 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C.
- Remove duck from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Rinse the duck inside and out, pat dry. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Using a skewer, prick the skin of the breast, just into the fat, but not as deep as the meat. Make about 10 holes in each side. This will allow the fat to render out during cooking and will make the skin lovely and crisp.
- Place the duck on a wire rack in a baking dish, rub skin with sea salt flakes.
- Roast, about 2 1/2 hours, or until duck is browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, place the cherries, soy sauce, port, pepper, sugar, balsamic vinegar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes, until it becomes syrupy. It will thicken a little more on cooling.
- Serve the duck accompanied with cherry sauce.