This delicious dessert is sure to impress young and old!
- Apple snow – The apple snow on it’s own is an ultra light and fresh dessert!
- Apple snow on custard – Spooned onto cooled custard which also utilises the egg yolks turns it into a delightful dessert!!
- Frozen apple snow – The two layers mixed together, with or without extra whipped cream, turns it all into an irresistible apple ice-cream!!!
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut up
30 ml water
75 ml sugar
75 ml additi0nal water
4 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
5oo ml milk
4 large egg yolks
60 ml sugar
30 ml cornflour
5 ml vanilla essence or paste
Optional ingredients for ice-cream
125 ml whipped cream
30 ml sugar
few drops extra vanilla essence or pinch of vanilla paste
- Place the apple and water in a saucepan and simmer gently until the apple is tender or place in a jug, cover partly and microwave on High until the apple has softened. Process or mash until a smooth apple sauce is obtained.
- Combine the sugar, salt and additional water and bring to boil. Simmer one minute or until syrupy.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff and slowly pour in the warm syrup while beating until shiny and stiff peaks form. Fold in the apple sauce and refrigerate.
- To serve plain, spoon into stemmed glasses and serve or prepare the custard as explained below and then complete the dessert.
- In the microwave oven, heat the milk to boiling point. Beat together the egg yolks, sugar, salt and cornflour in a large ovenproof bowl or jug and add the hot milk. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute or until the mixture just starts too thicken. Beat well and microwave 30 seconds – 1 minute more or until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Beat well and allow to cool a while.
- Remove skin if necessary and pour into a dessert bowl or individual stemmed bowls.
- Cool to room temperature and top with apple snow. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To prepare the apple ice cream, mix the cooled custard and apple snow and freeze until icicles form (about 2 hours). Beat very well to break up icicles and freeze again.
For a richer creamier ice cream, add the whipped cream, sweetened with the sugar and flavoured with the extra vanilla and mix in thoroughly before the final freezing stage. Freeze at least 3 – 4 hours before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.