Feather-light cheesy puffs baked in mini muffin tins to serve as tempting snacks or in medium muffin tins to serve with soup or stews.
250 ml self-raising self-binding rice flour plus 5 ml baking powder OR
or gluten-free cake flour or flour mix plus 10 ml baking powder
2 ml salt
pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
pinch mustard powder (optional)
100 g/250 ml grated Cheddar cheese
250 ml milk
1 large egg
15 ml oil
paprika or garlic and herb seasoning to sprinkle
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 º C and grease the cups of a mini muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together the milk, egg and oil in a measuring jug and add to the bowl with dry ingredients. Mix lightly only until combined.
- Divide the mixture, with the aid of two teaspoons, between the prepared cups and sprinkle with paprika or garlic and herb seasoning.
- Bake the muffins for about 10 minutes or until well risen and light golden.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, as is or with butter and/or any savoury filling preferred.
18 to 24 mini puffs.
Parsley, spring onion or herb puffs
Add 15 ml chopped parsley and/or 30 ml chopped spring onion to the dry ingredients.
Goats cheese and peppadew puffs
Replace half of the Cheddar cheese with crumbled soft goats cheese (Chevin) or grated firm goats cheese (Gotino) and add 4 to 6 chopped mild or hot peppadews.
Cheese and biltong puffs
Add about 60 ml finely grated or chopped biltong to the batter.