This Ancient Roman dish makes the perfect appetizer. You can use the Tapenade, also known as Olive Paste, as a condiment, with pasta or as a spread. Be sure to try Olive Tapenade Palmiers.
500 ml black Kalamata olives
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Pinch of dried thyme
5 ml anchovy paste
45 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Pit the olives with an olive pitter or and transfer it to the bowl of a blender
- Remove the rosemary leaves from stalks and chop it finely before adding it to the blender as well. Discard the stalks.
- Add the thyme and anchovy paste and blend thoroughly until the mixture forms a paste.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil a teaspoon at a time, keeping the olive paste more on the “dry” side.
- Transfer the paste to a serving dish and serve with bruschetta, crostini, vegetable crudités, etc.