This is simple cake which can be easily be altered to personal taste by adding different flavouring ingredients. The addition of the olive oil reduces the saturated fat of the recipe.
500 ml self-raising flour
200 ml sugar
200 ml olive oil
2.5 ml vanilla essence or extract
3 large eggs
150 ml milk
10 ml caraway or aniseed or
10 ml grated orange or lemon zest plus 15 ml orange or lemon juice
125 ml chocolate chips or
50 g flaked almonds, toasted plus 2 ml almond essence
Sweetened Whipped Cream (optional)
250 ml cream, chilled
15 to 30 ml sugar or icing sugar
1 ml vanilla essence
Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 º C and grease a 22 cm fluted or 25 cm deep ring pan.
- Note: A ring pan such as a fluted “Bundt” tin, “Gugelhupf” or even an Angel cake tin will work well.
- If using the flaked almonds, sprinkle half of it evenly into the tin at this point.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt, olive oil, eggs and milk and vanilla essence in the bowl of a food processor or a large mixing bowl.
- Process or beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Add the flavouring ingredients of your choice and mix or process until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining almonds on top, if used.
- Cake for about 30 minutes, until the cake is golden and firm to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn the cake out on to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make the sweetened whipped cream, place the cream and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat at a moderate speed until stiff and fluffy. Be careful not to over-beat the cream.
- Beat in the vanilla essence and spoon into a serving dish.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with the sweetened whipped cream.