No-bake, soft, yet crunchy bars with a perfect balance of protein, carbs and healthy fat to provide fibre, goodness and sustained energy for all the active members of your family!
Prep time 15 minutes plus at least 30 minutes to set
Cook time 15 minutes to toast oats and almonds
Yields 12 – 16 bars, depending on size
Individually wrapped in cling wrap or good quality wax paper, these bars make excellent portable snacks to enjoy at any time. Perfect for lunchboxes or the three o’clock snack attack.
150 g (250 ml) brown skin almonds, coarsely chopped
150 g (375 ml) rolled oats
75 g (125 ml) pitted dates, finely chopped
1/4 tsp (1 ml) baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
2 Tbsp (30 ml) boiling water
1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
1/4 cup (60 ml) peanut butter
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C and line a 20 cm square baking tin or French flan tin (11 x 3.5 cm) with baking paper, which will be needed to lift out the bars after they have set.
- Spread the almonds and oats onto a baking tray and bake 15 minutes until fragrant and lightly toasted.
- Place the dates into a microwave safe bowl, large enough to hold all the ingredients. Add the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water and mash very well to turn into a chunky paste.
- Add the honey and peanut butter and microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Mash well until smooth and add the almonds, oats, vanilla and salt. Mix with a fork until evenly combined.
- Spoon heaped spoonfuls of the mixture into the lined tin and press down with the back of a spoon until it covers the base evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Cut the set mixture into 12 – 16 bars and lift out.
- Store in an airtight container or individually wrapped in cling wrap or to extend the shelf life it may be refrigerated.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.