This uncomplicated bread is quick to mix and bake and what is used when making an authentic Muffuletta Sandwich, the ultimate make-ahead picnic sandwich.
750 g/1350 ml white bread flour
1– 2 x 10 g sachets instant yeast (depending on time available for rising)
10 ml sugar
10 ml salt
600 ml lukewarm water
60 ml oil
sesame seeds to sprinkle (optional)
- Line a large baking tray with a Wizbake baking sheet and set it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook and add the water and oil.
- Mix with a spoon or the dough hook until a heavy batter is obtained.
- Adjust the consistency if necessary, adding a little extra water or flour.
- Mix 1 – 2 minutes only until slightly sticky.
- Set the bowl aside and let it rise uncovered until well risen and well rounded on top. About 20 minutes if two sachets of yeast are used or 40 minutes if one sachet is used.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C when the bread is almost risen.
- Form the dough into a round loaf about 25 cm in diameter and place it on a the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top of loaf with sesame seeds.
- Press seeds gently into surface of loaf.
- Bake the bread for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 180 ° C and bake 30 minutes more until the crust is browned and the breads sound hollow when tapped on the top crust.
- A metal skewer should come out clean if bread is cooked through.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack before assembling a Muffuletta Sandwich.
Servings: 1 large bread.