Home-made muesli is special and can be served as is with hot or cold milk or yoghurt or add extra nuts or moist dried fruit such as chopped figs or apple rings just before serving. Cooking time is shortened considerably if cooked in this way. See variations below to toast in the oven in large quantities.
100g/250ml quick cooking or rolled oats
50 ml digestive bran
50 ml desiccated coconut
50 ml wheat germ or additional digestive bran
50 ml wholewheat flour
25 ml sesame seeds
25 ml sunflower seeds
50 – 100 ml coarsely chopped flaked almonds / mixed nuts / pumpkin seeds
15 ml honey or syrup
30 ml brown sugar
2 ml vanilla essence
30 ml oil
50 ml boiling water
500 ml dried fruit e.g. raisins, sultanas, apple rings or mixed dried fruit (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients. Mix together the honey, sugar, vanilla essence, oil, boiling water and salt and add to the dry ingredients. Blend with a fork .
- Spoon the mixture into a 220 to 280 mm pie plate and spread out evenly on the base of the pie plate.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Stir well to break up lumps and stir the muesli from the outside of the dish towards the center.
- Microwave 2 minutes more.
- Stir well and continue to microwave 1 minute at a time stirring in between until golden – the muesli will brown on standing.
- Stir while cooling to obtain a loose crumbly muesli and store in glass jars or airtight containers.
Makes ± 500 ml muesli.
To make a double batch of muesli (or more), line a large baking tray with a Wizbake baking sheet and spread out the mixture onto a baking tray. Bake in the oven at 150°C for about 30 minutes. With a spatula, stir and turn the muesli over from time to time and move the browner bits away from the edges towards the center of the baking tray. Continue until all is golden and crisp.