These colourful sosaties can be prepared in advance and can be served as a starter or main course at a braai.
1 kg chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
2 large red sweet pepper, cut into chunks
2 large onions, cut into wedges
1 x 800 g tin pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
125 ml reserved pineapple juice
60 ml soy sauce
50 ml honey
60 ml vinegar
10 ml sesame oil
2.5 ml ground ginger
60 ml olive oil
60 ml reserved pineapple juice
30 ml honey
15 ml olive oil
5 ml soy sauce
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a mixing bowl and set it aside.
- Cut each chicken breast into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to the bowl with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- Combine the ingredients for the grilling sauce in a small saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Soak the sosatie sticks for at least 30 minutes before using. Or use metal skewers instead.
- Cut the sweet pepper into bite-sized chunks and the onion into wedges.
- Thread the ingredients onto 6 or 8 sosatie sticks, leaving about 4 cm at the blunt end of the sosatie stick to make holding easy.
- Transfer the sosaties to a airtight container and brush each sosatie with the grilling sauce.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grates and place the sosaties on the grill.
- Cook over medium-high heat, turning and brushing with pineapple grilling sauce often, for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
Serves 6 to 8 people.