When I first came across the Woolworths Basil & Sun-dried Tomato Feta cheese, I just had to include it in this Festive Season-themed newsletter. Here it is covered in dill. Serve with crackers or freshly baked bread or as a center piece for a salad platter.
200 g Feta cheese (plain, herbed or peppered)
125 g/125ml creamed or low-fat cottage cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed or 1 ml garlic and herb seasoning
10 ml olive oil or soft butter
15 ml chopped olives (optional)
15 ml chopped spring onion
60 ml fine dried breadcrumbs
freshly ground black pepper
- Place the Feta cheese, cream cheese, garlic or garlic and herb seasoning and olive oil or butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until blended. Add the olives and spring onion and stir to combine.
- Lay a portion of cling wrap (30cm in length) flat onto the work surface and sprinkle with about 1/2 of the breadcrumbs and a little black pepper. Spoon the mixture into a log shape onto the crumbs and roll gently to shape into a log (20 – 25 cm in length) with the aid of the cling wrap.
- Sprinkle more crumbs and pepper over the log and roll gently to coat evenly all over. Seal airtight and refrigerate at least several hours to become firm or up to several days. Unwrap and serve as explained below.
- Replace breadcrumbs with finely chopped toasted nuts, chopped parsley or for a luxurious effect with caviar.
- Place sliced smoked salmon or trout, finely chopped fresh herbs, nuts, dried fruit, etc. onto the cling wrap before spooning the feta mixture onto the cling wrap.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster.