A good dish with eggs to prepare a few hours ahead of time and bake shortly before serving.
4 hard-boiled eggs, halved lengthwise
100 g smoked snoek, skinned, boned and flaked
15 g butter
125 ml leek or onion or spring onion
7.5 ml curry powder
1 ml dried origanum
50 ml cake flour
375 ml milk
2.5 ml Blended White Vinegar
2.5 ml sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g feta cheese, crumbled
- Sprinkle the flaked snoek over the eggs and cover with the remaining sauce.Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce, bake at 160 ° C for 8 to 10 minutes or until just heated through and bubbly.
- Place the butter, leek/onion/spring onion in a large saucepan and saute gently until softened.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce very gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar and sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour one third of the sauce into a medium-sized ovenproof dish (1.5 liter capacity) and arrange the halved eggs cut side down on the sauce.
- Stir in the curry powder, origanum, cake flour and milk and bring to the boil, stirring with a whisk, until a smooth sauce is obtained.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster from the Art Of Cooking Recipe Book p.121.