This is a different but very tasty way to serve cauliflower. Tip: tell your kids it is mashed potato and they won’t have a problem eating it!
600 g cauliflower florets, steamed
200 ml milk or cream
50 g butter
30 ml fresh parsley or coriander, finely chopped (optional)
15 ml lemon rind, finely chopped (optional)
5 ml crushed garlic
2.5 ml salt
1 large egg, beaten
50 ml Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees selcius.
- Steam the cauliflower on the stove or in the microwave until soft.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor and puree.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process using the pulse function until the ingredients are combined. You should still be able to see green and yellow flecks if you added the herbs and lemon rind.
- Transfer the mash into a serving dish and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges turn brown.
- Serve as a vegetable side dish or instead of potato or rice with a meal.
P.S. The photo was taken before it went into the oven.
For plain cauliflower mash, omit the egg and return the mashed cauliflower to the saucepan to heat through while stirring if you want to serve it immediately.