Move over “cauliflower cheese” – there is a new kid on the block! This is a fun and tasty way to serve a vegetable that is usually not very popular.
500 ml cauliflower, steamed and finely chopped
125 – 250 ml fresh bread, oatbran or phyllium husks
1 large egg
15 ml chives, finely chopped
30 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
125 ml reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
a little cake flour to dust your hands with
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 ºC and grease a non-stick baking tray with cooking spray or line it with a Wizbake sheet.
- If using a head of broccoli or cauliflower, cut the stem in the middle out and cut it into florets.
- Steam the cauliflower in the microwave or in a steaming basket on the stove for 5 to 10 minutes or until cooked. Set it aside to cool.
- Process two to three slices of stale bread in a food processor and set it aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients, except the breadcrumbs, in a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Chop the cauliflower finely and measure it before adding it to the bowl.
- Add just enough of the breadcrumbs, oatbran or phyllium husks to get the right consistency.
- Spoon about 30 ml of the mixture onto the baking tray and cup your hands around it to form it into patties or cakes.
- Bke for 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.
- Serve as one of the vegetable side dishes with a meal.
Makes about 20 cakes.