Also known as tortilla, a Spanish omelette should not be confused with a flour tortilla, which is a type of flat bread. One of the best things to do with leftover cooked potato is to make tortilla for breakfast!
350 g potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
15 ml olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
6 large eggs, lightly whisked
2.5 ml garlic & herb seasoning
salt and freshly ground black pepper
125 ml cooked bacon or ham
50 ml fresh herbs, such as parsley or basil, finely chopped
5 to 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and stir-fry the onion until translucent.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, garlic and herb seasoning and the salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add additional ingredients of your choice to the egg mixture and pour the mixture into the saucepan.
- Draw the egg mixture gently from the edge to the centre of the pan as it starts to cook.
- Reduce the heat and cook without stirring on a medium heat until the tortilla has set underneath.
- Place the pan under a pre-heated grill until the top is set and golden brown. Be sure that the handle of the pan is oven-proof!
- Alternatively, slide the tortilla onto an oiled plate. Add 10 ml additional oil to the saucepan and heat it before sliding the tortilla back into the pan. Cook until completely set and golden underneath.
- Slide the tortilla onto a serving plate and cut into wedges or squares.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
4 to 6 servings.
Photo credit: https://www.healthylittlefoodies.com