Simple Syrup, also known as bar syrup or sugar syrup, is a liquid sweetener created by mixing equal parts of sugar and water. Simple syrup is an essential ingredient in cocktails and other beverages because it blends so well with other liquids. Continue reading Home-made Simple Syrup
Below are a few popular cocktail recipes. Some are classics, such as G&T, Tom Collins and Negroni. Others are based on the classics, but with a modern twist. All the recipes below make a single serving.
Continue reading Gin Cocktail Recipes
“Melktertjies”, also know as “melktert shooters” is as South African as can be and basically our version of eggnog. It smells and tastes like melktert (Milk Tart) with a bit of kick. A single sip of this delicious alcoholic drink is all it will take to make you want to come back for more.
Be sure to try Carolié’s authentic recipe for Grandma’s Milk Tart, which is the real deal, or her quick and easy Quick Baked Milk Tart, which is a crustless version of this South African favourite.
Be sure to also try the recipe for Home-made Eggnog, which can be served hot or cold.
The mixture can unfortunately not be turned into “Melktertjie” Ice-cream due to the high alcohol content, but it tastes great if you place the mixture in the freezer for an hour or two before serving.
200 ml vodka (or more to taste)
385 g (250 ml) condensed milk
100 to 200 ml milk, evaporated milk or cream
1 ml ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Sugar Garnish
25 ml sugar
1 ml ground cinnamon
1 large egg white
- Combine the ingredients in a hand blender and process until blended. Alternatively, pour the ingredients into a shaker and shake well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl and mix well.
- Separate the egg and transfer the egg yolk to a ziplock bag. Seal and refrigerate for later use.
- Dip the rims of the glasses in the egg white and then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Stir or shake the Melktertjie-mixture well before dividing it between about 12 shot glasses.
About 500 ml.
- Add more Vodka if stronger Melktertjies.
- Divide the mixture between 4 x 200 ml small glasses for a Don Pedro-type drink (pictured below).
- Substitute the Vodka for additional milk for a child-friendly version.
- The recipe can easily be doubled for more portions.
This popular Mexican drink is usually served in a salted rim glass and is the most common tequila-based cocktail. A Margarita consists of tequila, triple sec and lime. A key ingredient is the freshly squeezed lime juice. Margarita’s can be made with lemons if you prefer it less acidic.
60 ml Tequila (silver or blanco)
45 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
15 ml Triple Sec
15 ml simple syrup * or agave nectar (optional)
- Rim a high ball glass with salt.
- Put two big handfuls of ice cubes into a cocktail shaker. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Shake for a good 10 seconds.
- Fill the high ball glass half full of ice cubes.
- Pour contents of shaker over top and garnish with lime slices.
- Use fresh limes. Prepare the limes 4 to 10 hours before you make your margaritas.
- Use a good-quality tequila and orange liqueur. Look for 100% agave tequila and brand name Triple Sec or Cointreau for the orange.
- Substitute the Triple Sec with Cointreau.
- Chill the margarita glasses for 30 minutes before serving. It makes rimming the glasses much easier. And keeps your drink very cool.
- Add fresh fruit instead of lime or lemon slices for a new twist.
- Add simple syrup or agave nectar for some sweet.
- Shake your margaritas, don’t stir.
Simple Syrup is useful for sweetening iced tea, fresh fruit drinks, and flavored cocktails. Combine 750 ml water and 750 ml sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir the sugar and water over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 3 minutes. Transfer the syrup to bowl and chill thoroughly. Makes about 1 liter. Syrup can be made 2 weeks ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.
Treat your guests with this refreshing drink on arrival!
750 ml clear apple juice
750 ml cranberry, mixed berry or pomegranate juice
750 ml ginger beer, sprite or sparking water
- Combine all the ingredients in a container of a suitable size and transfer to jugs or pitchers.
- Serve chilled with ice, fresh mint leaves and lemon slices as preferred.
Recipy by Carolié de Koster.