Make your child’s next birthday extra special with an “I made it myself!/Ek het dit self gemaak!” or Masterchef culinary party.
Are you looking for a unique activity to keep the kids entertained at your child’s next birthday party? Look no further. Our culinary parties are popular with girls and boys from age 5 and older. We will keep the kids busy during the party so that you can relax and enjoy the party too!
We offer a mobile culinary service, so we can come to you! We are based in JHB, but have travelled as far as Potch and even to Warmbaths to do events. We will bring everything required for the activity, so you don’t have to lift a finger ! Just let us know when and where!
During the party each recipe is demonstrated to the children step-by-step and each child takes part in making the items from start to finish. Kids get to take the fruit of their labour home and tell Mom and Dad: I made it myself! Most of them eat it right away though! During the activity the kids will learn about kitchen hygiene, basic cooking methods, accurate measuring, ingredients and recipes. Please visit Cooking Up A Storm’s Facebook page for photo’s of parties we’ve done over the past few years.
Details of culinary parties
Please let me know which date you have in mind. We recommend that you contact us 4 to 6 weeks before your child’s birthday, especially if you would like the party to take place on a Saturday as it is the most popular day of the week! If youare planning a last minute party, contact us anyway – you never know, we might be able to assist!
Grade R to Grade 7 (older kids fall into a different category – please contact us for more info). Kids that are 10+ can choose to have a Masterchef party which can have a competition format. It doesn’t have to though. Please make contact for more information.
We have two options to choose from. Our standard option is called “I made it myself!” and our luxury option is called Masterchef. With our masterchef option the kids either make more complicated items or we use more expensive ingredients. Each recipe will be demonstrated to the participants step-by-step and each participant will either make his/her own recipe from start to finish or as part of a team of two. During the activity participants will learn about kitchen hygiene, basic cooking methods, new ingredients and recipes, accurate measuring, etc.
Our morning timeslot is from 09:30 to 12:00 and our afternoon timeslot is from 14:30 to 17:00. We need to stick to these time slots in order to accommodate more than one party on a Saturday, which is our most popular day of the week for parties.
The party can take place at your house or venue, e.g. a club house in your complex. We’ve done parties in garages and on patio’s. Also in church halls and restaurants! Please note that we need to set-up 45 minutes before the starting time of the party or class. Our travel cost to your house or venue is not included in the cost per child.
If you prefer that the party takes place at a venue, e.g. because you are renovating, we would be happy to help you find a venue after receipt of the deposit to book a party with us. We have a few venues which we use on a regular basis. Please make contact for more info.
You can choose the language in which the party will be conducted, i.e. “I made it myself!” or “Ek het dit self gemaak!”. Please specify your language choice on the booking form. The recipe booklet will be in this language as well.
– R250.00 per person for “I made it myself! party (recommended for kids 5 to 12 years)
– R300.00 per person Masterchef party (recommended for kids 10+ years) – you can choose if you would like a competition format or not
Please contact us for a quote for parties for teenagers or adults.
- The cost per person does not include the venue hire fee if the party takes place at a venue. It also does not include our travel cost to your house or the venue.
- a minimum party fee is applicable for all our parties/events.
- a culinary party during which a variety of sweet and savoury age specific recipes will be prepared. The choice of recipes is determined by the average age and size of the group and will be discussed with the organiser of the party. The items the kids make can be tied in with the theme of the party, e.g. Alice in Wonderland, Ballerina, Beauty & The Beast, Cars, Cinderella, Circus, Construction, Cowboy/Cowgirl, Dinosaurs, Doc McStuffins, Emoji, Finding Nemo/Dory, Frozen, Harry Potter, Llama, Mermaid/Under The Sea, Minecraft, Minion, Minnie/Micky Mouse, Moana, Paw Patrol, Pirates, Princess, Puppy, Smurfs, Space, Star Wars, Storks, Superheroes, Unicorn, Toy Story, Trolls and many more!
- all ingredients and equipment required for the culinary party. All you need to provide is an oven (if the party takes places at your house or venue). No-bake items also available.
- A comprehensive recipe booklet for each of the attendees to take home
- a chef’s hat for each child
- the use of Cooking Up A Storm’s tables and table cloths for the duration of the culinary activity
- an electronic invite which can be sent to guests via email or Whatsapp.
- the use of Cooking Up A Storm aprons for the duration of the party. Customised aprons can also be ordered. Please note that aprons needs to be ordered at least two weeks prior to the event date. Please make contact for more information.
- Birthday cake – we can recommend suppliers
- Party food for kids and adults – we can recommend suppliers
- Party decorations, e.g. balloons, streamers, hats, themed table cloths, etc.
- Additional tables, chairs, etc.
- Party packs for the kids
- Drinks – cold
- Drinks – hot (a complimentary tea/coffee station is included in the venue hire at certain venues)
- Travel cost of R6 per km
Making a booking
Please make contact for a booking form.
We offer culinary sessions for adults as well! It is a great activity for celebrations such as birthdays, anniversaries, team building, year-end functions, etc. We also customised on-site culinary lessons for individuals, i.e. stay at home moms, domestic workers, au pairs, etc. Please make contact for more information.