This is one of my all time favourite desserts. See the recipe for Turkey, Leek & Creme Fraiche Parcel for a savoury version of this recipe as well as step-by-step photo’s.
1 x 800 g tin pear halves
5 ml cinnamon
50 ml treacle or muscovado sugar
100 g Lindt dark couverture chocolate
500 g puff pastry, defrosted overnight
1 large egg, beaten
- Cube the pears and add it to a medium saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar and heat while stirring without breaking up the pear further and only until the sugar has melted. Set it aside to cool.
- Add the chocolate to the pear mixture in the pan
- Roll out the pastry on a Wizbake sheet to a large rectangle, about 35 cm x 25 cm. Transfer the Wizbake sheet with the pastry to a baking tray.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 º C.
- Spoon the filling onto the pastry with a large spoon, leaving a 10 cm margin on each long side.
- Scatter the chocolate on top of the pear mixture.
- Use a spatula to cut the pastry sides diagonally into strips, cutting up to the filling at 2 cm intervals. This is in order to not damage the Wizbake sheet.
- Lift the ends of the pastry and pull it gently over the filling. Cross the pastry strips over the filling so that it looks like a plait. Roll some of the leftover pastry into a long, thin strip and place it on top of the parcel.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the egg. This will ensure a golden and crispy parcel.
- Bake the parcel for 15 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 190 º C and bake for a further 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- Use two lifters and transfer the parcel from the baking tray to a serving platter.
- Cut into 2 cm slices and serve with creme fraiche.
I crumbled the leftovers of the No-bake Brownies and added it to the filling before enclosing it in the pastry.