Moist, delicious and no effort to make and cook in the microwave. May be eaten fresh from the oven or cooled and treated like a traditional cake, covered with almond paste or marzipan only or covered with plastic icing (easy to purchase) as well.
500 g/850 ml mixed dried fruit e.g. cake mix or raisins, sultanas and currants, combined
250 g/400 ml stoned dates, finely chopped
200 g/250 ml brown sugar
125 g/140 ml butter
100 ml water
150 ml brandy
5 ml bicarbonate of soda
250 g /450 ml cake flour
10 ml cocoa
10 ml instant coffee powder
5 ml baking powder
5 ml mixed spice
5 ml ground cinnamon
1 ml ground ginger
1 ml grated nutmeg
2 ml salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
100 g/160 ml cherries, coarsely chopped
100 g/250 ml coarsely chopped nuts e.g. pecans, walnuts, almonds or brazil nuts
125 ml brandy to sprinkle over cake/s
- Oblong, loaf-shaped or round containers may be used for the cake and it may be baked in 1 large (2,25 litres) or 2 smaller (1,25 litre), glass or plastic containers. If round dishes are used, line the bases only with waxed paper. If oblong or loaf-shaped dishes are used, line the longer side/s and the base/s with a sheet of waxed paper. Grease the unlined sides of the container/s and the paper well with margarine.
- Combine the mixed dried fruit, dates, brown sugar, butter or margarine, water and randy in a large bowl. Cover loosely and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Stir well and microwave 3 minutes more. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and cool to room temperature.
- Place the dry ingredients into a second bowl and stir until combined. Add to the fruit mixture and mix until blended. Add the eggs, cherries and nuts and stir until mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared container/s and smooth the top. Cover with lids or cling wrap and microwave on DEFROST, 16 minutes for the large or 10 – 12 minutes for the small containers until just set. Microwave on HIGH, 4 minutes for the large or 2 – 3 minutes for the small containers to finish off baking until cooked right through.
- Cool in the container/s at least 15 minutes and pour over half of the brandy. Loosen carefully, turn out and sprinkle with the remaining brandy. Serve as a dessert or cool completely, wrap in aluminium foil and store.
1 medium or 2 smaller cakes or 16 – 20 generous servings.
- Two smaller cakes are neat and convenient to serve – it is cut and used quickly instead of continually cutting from a large cake which eventually appears untidy and no longer tempting.
- Store the well wrapped cake/s up to two months and sprinkle with a little brandy, once a week, to keep moist.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster from the Art of Cooking Recipe book p. 898.