The cool refreshing ice-cream is a good way to end a summer time meal especially when mangoes are in season.
3 medium-sized mangoes, peeled and stoned
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
2 very fresh eggs, separated
1 cup (250 ml) cream
fresh or tinned passion fruit
- Blend the flesh of the mangoes with 1/3 of the sugar until quite smooth
- Beat the egg yolks and 1/3 of the sugar very well until thick and pale yellow.
- Beat the egg whites until just stiff and gradually beat in the last 1/3 of the sugar to make a stiff meringue.
- Beat the cream until stiff and gently stir the three mixtures until evenly combined.
- Pour into a container with a lid, suitable for freezing.
- Freeze the ice-cream at least 6 hours or preferably overnight until completely frozen.
- Serve as is or with passion fruit.
About 2 liters or 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe by Carolié de Koster from Art Of Cooking p. 536.